« Home | Crossroads » | The Cookie Crumbles » 

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 

Rang De Basanti


I watched Rang De Basanti a couple of days back. It did burn a hole in my pocket but nevertheless a movie with buddies at one of the new age multiplexes is worth the dough. Now what was Rang De Basanti all about?? Patriotism? Jingoism? Awakening of the youth? Hmmm…. Well it was a little bit of all these. The treatment of the movie was a little unique, with the sepia flashbacks to an era of brave, patriotic and valiant young men juxtaposed against the unconcerned, disillusioned youth of today. However I felt that the movie fell short of what it could have been. It promised much but failed to live up to the promise mainly due to the melodramatic and irrational tripe that constituted the climax.

There were quite a few moving situations in the movie. The bonhomie, the attitudes, the disillusionments were something that I could identify with. However the paucity of genuine causes for the youth to fight for is something that came across in a sorry manner. In a country like India, with corruption at every corner, a zillion crimes everyday do we really need an odd incident to awaken us? Have we lost the zest to fight? Have we lost the ability to rise above the ordinary and bring about change? Perhaps we have…

Saala poora system hi karaab hai… I hear that everyday, and what’s more that’s my favorite excuse as well, to defend my own inaction. Hey maan, I have a tough time living my own damnn life! Why in the world would I want to try to correct something that is beyond redemption? Fair enough, its not your job, neither is it mine, but who’s job is it then? The corruption, the political creeps, the all pervading mistrust and hatred sickens every one of us. But we have chosen to turn our back to all this and get on with our own lives. Sad, yes it is, but hey back off mister!!!

Can we make a difference? Can we turn around the society, which is seemingly going to the dogs? The answer is an emphatic YES… But that was an easy question. How about – Will I do something about it? Why should I do it? That’s a tough one ehh…

I hope I can find the answer to that, I hope every one of us can. Some people have found their answers in the past and many more will find answers in the future.
Five IITians have launched their own party and have declared their determination to make a difference. I am happy for them. To be enthused about a cause that seems hopeless requires lots of motivation and lots of guts. Herez wishing them all the luck for a tough fight ahead. They will need all the help they can get. Good luck mates!!!

As for guys like me and most of you, lets hope we can discover the fire in us to fight the tide and make a difference. It won’t be easy, it won’t be smooth but hey, wars are like that and this is the biggest of them all…

Well Ranjith u used a lot of Hi-Fi English words which i couldn't understand but as a whole i understood what u actually meant to say. I Agree with u. It could have been a much better film. The Climax could have been different. But anyway it has been declared the first hit of 2006.

Well regarding the system i believe that each one of us have the potential to change it, but we need to think of it first. Plan what u r going to do or just think what should be ur contribution to the system and place the first step. I am sure soceity will join hands with u later if its constructive in some sort.

Post a Comment

About me

  • Nick Ranjit
  • From Bangalore, India
  • On the Self-Discovery Mode
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates


HITS


BLOGS I VISIT